THE KOSCIUSZKO FOUNDATION
Marcella Sembrich International Voice Competition
Artistic Director Dr. Malgorzata Kellis
November 6th and 7th, 2015
at Ida K. Lang Recital Hall at Hunter College
North Building Room 424
695 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065
The Competition honors the great Polish soprano Marcella Sembrich Kochanska, who made her Metropolitan Opera debut in 1883. After an enormously successful career, the popular singer founded the vocal programs at both the Juilliard School and the Curtis Institute. Previous winners of the competition include Barbara Hendricks and Jan Opalach.
Application & Audio Recording Deadline
Tuesday, September 15th, 2015
Live Audition at Hunter College
Saturday, November 7th, 2015
Finals - Live Audition at Hunter College
Sunday, November 8th, 2015
~OPEN TO THE PUBLIC~
tickets available here and at the door
One application per person. Do not submit the same claim online and by mail. Do one or the other. If you are unsure whether or not your claim was submitted electronically, please contact the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Mailed applications should be addressed to The Kosciuszko Foundation; 15 East 65th Street, New York, Ny 10065.
1. The Competition is open to:
Singers of any nationality are eligible to participate in the Competition.
2. Any contestant who has already been a recipient of any of the three cash awards from the Marcella Sembrich Kosciuszko Foundation Vocal Competition is excluded from further participation in this or any future Competition.
3. By Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 each contestant must submit an audio recording of his/her 10-20 minute performance, along with their application, proof of age, a head shot photo and resume.
4. By Monday, October 5th the Artistic Director will inform selected contestants regarding their status in the Competition.
5. Only the applicants who are accepted to the competition, after the preliminary recording requirement, will be required to submit the non refundable registration fee of$25.oo, payable by check, money order, online or via phone to the Kosciuszko Foundation. The registration fee must be received by the Kosciuszko Foundation by Monday, the 26th of October, 2015.
6. Submitted documents and recordings will not be returned.
7. The contestant must give signed permission to the Kosciuszko Foundation for the video recording and pictures of the final round, which may be used for future publicity purposes.
8. The Kosciuszko Foundation will provide an accompanist for all contestants. They will, however, also be allowed to bring their own pianist. If there is need for rehearsal time, the contestant may request contact information and make all arrangements with our accompanists before the competition.
9. The Kosciuszko Foundation is not responsible for covering travel or housing expenses for the contestants.
10. The competition will consist of three rounds:
11. All the repertoire must be performed from memory.
12. The monetary prizes are:
13. In addition:
- female category: 10.000 Euro
- male category: 10.000 Euro
and many more special prizes
14. Along with the application, each contestant is required to submit:
15. Contestants accepted into the competition will be required to bring five copies of their audition list upon arrival.
16. The Kosciuszko Foundation is not responsible for any legal documents for the international contestant's entry into the USA, but the participants who will be accepted for the live auditions, will be able to receive a letter from the Kosciuszko Foundation, acknowledging their participation in the competition.
17. International contestants accepted for the live auditions should bring their tax identification number from their home countries.
18. The program of music listed on the application may be changed, from the original submission, prior to the actual audition.
1. The Competition consists of the following stages:
3rd stage: Finals
2. Performance order – live audition:
3. All works should be performed from memory.
4. Polish songs and arias may be sung either in Polish or in any other language selected by the Participant. Szymanowski's songs are available in other languages: English, German, French, Russian. Many selections of the Polish repertoire are available on the www.thekf.org and Teatr Wielki – Opera Narodowa.
5. Arias must be performed in the original key.
6. Songs may be transposed.
7. The live auditions, during third stage of the Competition, will be open to the public.
Życzenia/Wunsche - Op.24 Nr - 1 Polish, German
Słowik/Die Nachtigall - Op.31 Nr 2 - Polish, German, French
Trzy pieśni do słów D. Dawidowa/Three songs with the words of D. Davidov
Wschód słońca - Op.32 Nr 1 - Russian/ Polish
Bezgwiezdne niebo - Op.32 Nr 2 - Russian, Polish
Jesienne słońce - Op.32 Nr 3 - Russian, Polish
Pieśni Muezzina Szalonego/Songs of an Infatuated Muezzin
Allah Akbar - Op.42 Nr 1 - Polish, French, German
O, ukochana - Op.42 Nr 2 - Polish, French, German
Ledwie blask słońca - Op.42 Nr 3 - Polish, French, German
W południe - Op.42 Nr 4 - Polish, French, German
O tej godzinie - Op.42 Nr 5 - Polish, French, German
Odeszłaś na pustynię - Op.42 Nr 6 - Polish, French, German
Siedem pieśni do słów Jamesa Joyce'a/Seven songs with the words of James Joyce - English, Polish
Gentle Lady/Droga mona -Op.54 Nr 1 - English, Polish
Pieśni kurpiowskie/The Kurpia Songs
Lecioły zórazie/Reihe flogen - Op.58 Nr 1 - Polish, French, German
Wysła burzycka/Wetter ind wind - Op.58 Nr 2 - Polish, French, German
Uwoz mamo/Mutter, schau gut an - Op.58 Nr 3 - Polish, French, German
U jeziorecka/Druben beim See dort - Op.58 Nr 4 - Polish, French, German
Halka, act 4 - Polish/Italian
Halka, act 2 - Polish/Italian
Hrabina, act 3 - Polish/Italian
Hrabina - Eva's Aria - Italian
Hanna Straszny Dwór- Polish/German
Arioso/Zelma/Casanova - Polish/German
Arioso/Caton/ Casanova - Polish/German
King Roger - Roksana's Song - Polish/German
Aria Bony/Bona's Aria - Polish
Wanda's Aria/Zamek na Czorsztynie - Polsih
Nealia's Aria/Paria - Polish
Kazimierz/Hrabina - Polish
Kazimierz/act1/Hrabina - Polish/Italian
Stefan/Straszny Dwór/act 3 - Polish/German
Jontek's Aria/Halka/act 4 - Polish/Italian
Jontek/act 4/Halka - Polish/ Italian
Casanova/Casanova - Polish/ German
Aria Manru/act 2 - Polish/German