This scholarship supports graduate level research at universities in Poland by American graduate students and university faculty members with funding from the Polish Ministry of Education and the Kosciuszko Foundation. Research projects may be conducted from October 2015 through June 2016 at Polish universities and institutions which fall under the jurisdiction of the Polish Ministry of Education. The scholarship provides a Ministry stipend in the amount of 1,350 zloty per month for housing and living expenses. Additional funding of $300 per month of approved study/research is awarded by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Transportation to and from Poland is not included. This scholarship does not include tuition to attend classes at Polish universities.
Graduate level students and university faculty members who are US citizens may apply. Polish citizens are not eligible.
Selection is based on academic excellence, motivation and the need to pursue research in Poland, and a clear and a well-defined research proposal. The host institution must fall under the jurisdiction of the Polish Ministry of Education and Sports.
Note: Kosciuszko Foundation's application instructions are slightly different than the instructions on the application form. Follow all directions listed here.
Submit a non-refundable application fee of $50 and the following materials:
- Complete the Exchange to Poland Checklist and submit it with your payment to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- Review the Polish Ministry of National Education's application entitled Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange here and apply on-line. Responses must be in English.
- Upload a photo of yourself to the on-line application. Save your file as "SR16-photo-yourlastname-firstname". Photo will be used for identification purposes as well as for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundaiton's Newsletter - please provide a photo that is suitable for these purposes.
- Send official transcripts (university level) inclusive of Summer 2014 to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service. The Foundation's address is provided below.
- Upload copies of language certificates as well as undergraduate and graduate diplomas you have received to the on-line application.
- Upload a letter of invitation from the University/Institute in Poland where research is to be conducted. The letter should address the feasibility of the research project, the research period start and end dates, and the extent and limitations of the university's support i.e., access to libraries, archives, office space, dormitory housing, etc. Retain a copy of the invitation letter for the purpose of acquiring a visa.
- Send two confidential letters of academic reference from US professors / teachers. Letters must be written on university letterhead. Letters may be sent by recommenders directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation or e-mailed to Addy@thekf.org
- Upload a detailed research proposal to the on-line application. Proposal should not to exceed 7 pages, double spaced. Include your name, "KF Studies & Research 2015-2016" and page number in the upper right hand corner of each page. Upload file as "SR16-proposal-yourlastname-firstname"
- Complete the on-line application form - the link is found below.
- In question 14, complete the line other by indicating "conducting research"
- In question 15, chose Scholarship of the Government of the Republic of Poland.
- In response to question 21, upload an abstract of your research proposal -filename "SR16-abstract-yourlastname-firstname" as well as the full proposal -filename "SR16-proposal-yourlastname-firstname".
- If there are any changes in your contact information from the time you submit your application through June 15, 2015, the scholarship notification date, please update your contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
- If you are having trouble uploading documents please let us know.
ONLINE APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY OPEN
When the on-line application period is closed, write to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Studies and Research mailing list. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.
Submit all materials to:
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Deadline date: Application, host invitation letter, copies of certificates and diplomas, full proposal, and abstract are due on January 22, 2015; transcripts and letters of recommendation are due on January 29, 2015.
Please note that the Kosciuszko Foundation cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
Scholarship decisions are made in writing on or about June 15, 2015. In case of a delay in notification, information will post to this page or via e-mail.
Please inform the Grants Department of any changes in contact information. Updates may be sent via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
Information posted below is for Kosciuszko Foundation's 2014-2015 scholarship recipients.
Click here to view a timeline of due dates for the 2014-2015 scholarship.