This scholarship supports semester and year long Polish language studies during academic year October 2015 - June 2016 at the Jagiellonian University, Center of Polish Language and Culture, in Cracow. Funding is provided by the Polish Ministry of Education and the Kosciuszko Foundation. The Scholarship includes acceptance to the program, a tuition waiver and a stipend from the Polish Ministry of National Education in the amount of 1,350 zloty per month. Additional funding of $900 per semester is awarded by the Kosciuszko Foundation. Airfare to and from Poland is not included.
For an overview of the most recent program booklet available, please see the link Polish for Foreigners. The catalog includes an academic calendar, list of courses, information on dormitory housing, the university's grading system, and more.
Most Recent catalog available
Polish for Foreigners 2013-2014 (PDF 445KB)
Undergraduate sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and who are US citizens may apply. Students who have Polish citizenship are not eligible.
Selection is based on academic excellence, the applicant's motivation for pursuing Polish studies, his/her interest in Polish subjects and involvement in the Polish American community.
Note: Kosciuszko Foundation's application instructions are slightly different than the instructions on the application form. Follow all directions listed here.
Submit a non-refundable application fee of $50 and the following materials:
- Complete the Exchange to Poland Checklist;
- Review the Polish Ministry of National Education's application entitled Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange here and apply on-line. Responses must be in English.
- Upload a photo of yourself to the on-line application. Save your file as "YA16-photo-lastname-firstname". Photo will be used for ID cards in Poland as well as for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter - please provide a photo that is suitable for these purposes;
- Send official transcripts of 3 years of academic work through Summer 2014 (hard copies) to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service. The Foundation's address is provided below.
- Upload copies of any relevant certificates or diplomas related to Polish language courses/classes you have taken to the on-line application.
- Send two confidential letters of academic reference from US professors / teachers. Letters must be written on university letterhead and may be sent directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation or e-mailed to Addy@thekf.org.
- Complete the on-line application form - the link is found below.
- In question 15, complete the line "Other" by indicating Year Abroad Program, Jagiellonian University Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World.
- In question 16, chose Scholarship of the Government of the Republic of Poland
- In response to question 20, indicate whether you are applying for the 1st semester only, 2nd semester only or full academic year. First semester begins in October and ends in January; the second semester begins in February and ends in June. Please note that the Ministry may elect to award semester only grants.
- In response to question 21, attach a well-reasoned essay detailing your reasons for applying to the program. Include your academic and career goals. Minimum of 2 pages, double spaced. Include your name, "Year Abroad Program 2015-16" and page number in the upper right hand corner of each page. Upload file with the following filename, "YA16-essay-lastname-firstname";
- If there are any changes in your contact information from the time you submit your application through June 15, 2015, the scholarship notification date please update your contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org.
Please note that the Kosciuszko Foundation cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
Submit materials to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Deadline Date: Scholarship application and essay are due on January 22, 2015; supporting materials are due on January 29, 2015.
Scholarship decisions are made in on or about June 15, 2015. In case of a delay in notification, information will post to this page or via e-mail.
Please inform the Grants Department of any changes in contact information. Updates may be sent via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
Information posted below is for Kosciuszko Foundation's 2014-2015 scholarship recipients.
Click here to view a time-line of important dates for the 2014-2015 Year Abroad scholarships.