This scholarship supports semester and year long Polish language studies for an academic year (October - June) or a semester (October - February or February - June) at the Jagiellonian University, Center of Polish Language and Culture, in Cracow. Funding is provided by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the Kosciuszko Foundation. The Scholarship includes acceptance to the program, a tuition waiver and a stipend from the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education in the amount of 1,350 zloty per month. Additional funding of $900 per semester is awarded by the Kosciuszko Foundation. Airfare to and from Poland is not included.
For an overview of the most recent program booklet available, please see the link Polish for Foreigners. The catalog includes an academic calendar, list of courses, information on dormitory housing, the university's grading system, and more.
Most Recent catalog available
Polish for Foreigners 2013-2014 (PDF 445KB)
Undergraduate sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students who have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and who are US citizens may apply. Students who have Polish citizenship are not eligible.
Selection is based on academic excellence, the applicant's motivation for pursuing Polish studies, his/her interest in Polish subjects and involvement in the Polish American community.
Note: The application posted for this scholarship program is used by the Polish Ministry to administer a variety of programs/scholarships. Please follow the guidelines and instructions posted here.
Submit a non-refundable application fee of $50 and the following materials:
- Complete the Exchange to Poland Checklist and submit it with your payment to the Kosciuszko Foundation;
- Prior to applying, you review the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education's 2015/16 application Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange here. To apply for the program, scroll down and apply at the Click Here to Apply button.
- Upload a photo of yourself to the on-line application. Photo will be used for ID cards in Poland as well as for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter - please provide a photo that is suitable for these purposes;
- Send official transcripts of 3 years of academic work (hard copies) to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service. The Foundation's address is provided below.
- Upload copies of any relevant language certificates as well as diplomas you have received to the on-line application.
- Send two confidential letters of academic reference from US professors / teachers. Letters must be written on university letterhead and may be sent directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation or e-mailed to Addy@thekf.org.
- Complete the on-line application form - the link is found below. All responses must be in English.
- In question 14, complete the line "Other" by indicating Year Abroad Program, Jagiellonian University Center for Polish Language and Culture in the World.
- In question 15, chose Scholarship of the Government of the Republic of Poland
- In response to question 20, indicate whether you are applying for the 1st semester only, 2nd semester only or full academic year. First semester begins in October and ends in January; the second semester begins in February and ends in June. Please note that the Ministry may elect to award semester only grants.
- In response to question 21, attach a well-reasoned essay detailing your reasons for applying to the program. Include your academic and career goals. Minimum of 2 pages, double spaced. Include your name, "Year Abroad Program" and page number in the upper right hand corner of each page.;
- If there are any changes in your contact information after you have submitted your application through the scholarship notification date please update your contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org.
ONLINE APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSEd.
THE NEXT SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS BEGINS IN FALL 2015 FOR AWARDS TO STUDY IN POLAND DURING ACADEMIC YEAR 2015/2016.
When the on-line application period is closed, write to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Year Abroad mailing list. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.
Submit materials to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Next Deadline Date: January 15, 2016
Scholarship decisions are made in June. In case of a delay in notification, information will post to this page or via e-mail.
Information posted below is for Kosciuszko Foundation's 2014-2015 scholarship recipients.
Click here to view a time-line of important dates for the 2014-2015 Year Abroad scholarships.