The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship of $3,500 is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of medical studies at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. Funding is for academic year September 2015 - May 2016 and is awarded on a competitive basis.
This scholarship is open to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Applicants must be United States citizens of Polish descent and Polish citizens with permanent residency status in the United States who are entering first, second or third year of studies towards and M.D. degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. This scholarship is non-renewable.
Selection is based on academic excellence, the applicant's academic achievements, interests, motivation, interest in Polish subjects and involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Completed Scholarship Application Forms;
- B - Statement of Purpose;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two confidential Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Acceptance to Medical School;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee.
- A - Review the application here and prepare all materials prior to completing the on-line application form. Prepare items B-essay, F-proof of Polish ancestry, G-photo and completed financial information form. Follow all file naming conventions posted. Complete the Tuition Scholarship application form and submit it on-line - see link at the bottom of this page. Submit your application fee with the checklist to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- B - In the Statement of Purpose discuss your major, specialization and academic goals for which you are requesting scholarship support. A minimum of three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "ZAK16" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "ZAK16-essay-lastname-firstname" and upload to the on-line application form.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through Summer 2014. Submit official transcripts via US postal service to the address below.
- D - Submit two confidential letters of academic reference from professors / teachers. Letters should be submitted on university letterhead, in a sealed envelope and may be sent directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org.
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of acceptance to medical school. Letters may be submitted via US postal service or e-mail to Addy@thekf.org through May 29th.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Attach documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not accepted.
- G - Submit a photo of yourself (2 inches x 2 inches) which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Upload an electronic photo to the on-line application form. Save photo as, "ZAK16-photo-lastname-firstname"
- H - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Submit all materials to:
Attn.: Addy Tymczyszyn
January 9th, 2015 - Application, Financial Information Form, Statement of Purpose, Passport-size photo, proof of Polish Ancestry (official documents); and $35 non-refundable application fee and checklist.
January 15th, 2015 - Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation.
May 29th, 2015 - Copy of your Letter to Acceptance to Medical School.
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Notification of results is made in writing on or about May 29, 2015.
A scholarship time-line for academic year 2015-2016 is available here.
Changes in contact information after submission of application materials may be forwarded via e-mail to:
ONLINE APPLICATION is currently open.
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A 2" by 2" passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose.
- Financial information form.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
When the on-line application period is closed, write to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.
Information below is posted for Kosciuszko Foundation's 2014-2015 scholarship recipients.
Click here to view the timeline of due dates for the 2014-2015 scholarship.