The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship of $3,500 is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of medical studies at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. Funding is for full-time studies during academic year September 2017 - May 2018 and is awarded on a competitive basis. A scholarship application form will post to bottom of this page in Fall 2016.
This scholarship is open to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Applicants must be United States citizens of Polish descent and Polish citizens with permanent residency status in the United States who are entering first, second or third year of studies towards and M.D. degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. This scholarship is non-renewable.
Selection is based on academic excellence, the applicant's academic achievements, interests, motivation, interest in Polish subjects and involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Completed Scholarship Application Forms;
- B - Statement of Purpose;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two confidential Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Acceptance to Medical School;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee.
- A - A copy of the application form appears here for review during the application period. Apply on-line by clicking on the "Click Here to Apply" button found below (available only during the application period).
- B - In the Statement of Purpose discuss your major, specialization and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "ZAK18" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "ZAK18-lastname-firstname-essay" and upload to the on-line application form.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the most recent three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D - Submit two confidential letters of academic reference from professors / teachers. Letters should be submitted on university letterhead, in a sealed envelope and may be sent directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Save your file as "ZAK18-Applicant's last name-First name-rec-Prof's last name".
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of acceptance to medical school. Letters are accepted through April 10th. Save file as "ZAK18-Last name-First name-admission-name of school".
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Upload supporting documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted. Save your file as "ZAK17-Last name-First name-lineage".
- G - Submit a passport-style photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Save your photo as, "ZAK18-photo-lastname-firstname" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- H - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Submit all materials to:
Attn.: Addy Tymczyszyn
January 5 - Application, supporting materials and application fee.
April 10 - Copy of your Letter to Acceptance to Medical School.
Notification of results is made in writing on or about May 15., 2017.
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
To report a change of address information following submission of your application, please contact:
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED
When the on-line application period is closed, write to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility. For example, indicate that you are an American of Polish descent beginning M.D. studies or continuing studies towards an M.D. during academic year 2017-2018, and include your city and state of residence. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.
NEXT OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY WILL BE IN FALL 2016
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A 2" by 2" passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose.
- Financial information form.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).