This scholarship supports graduate level research at universities in Poland by American graduate students and university faculty members with funding from the Polish Ministry of Education and the Kosciuszko Foundation. Research projects may be conducted from October 2013 through June 2014 at Polish universities and institutions which fall under the jurisdiction of the Polish Ministry of Education. The scholarship provides a Ministry stipend in the amount of 1,350 zloty per month for housing and living expenses. Additional funding of $300 per month of approved study/research is awarded by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Transportation to and from Poland is not included. This scholarship does not include tuition to attend classes at Polish universities.
Graduate level students and university faculty members who are US citizens may apply. Polish citizens are not eligible.
Selection is based on academic excellence, motivation and the need to pursue research in Poland, and a clear and a well-defined research proposal. The host institution must fall under the jurisdiction of the Polish Ministry of Education and Sports.
Note: Kosciuszko Foundation's application instructions are slightly different than the instructions on the application form. Follow all directions listed here.
Submit a non-refundable application fee of $50 and the following materials:
- Complete the KF Checklist and the Polish Ministry of National Education application entitled Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange. Responses must be in English. Be sure to include your full name on each page of the application - do not staple pages together.
- Three passport-size photos with your full name printed on the reverse sides. Xerox and colored copies are not accepted, however, you may e-mail a .jpeg or .pdf file to Addy@thekf.org. Please use the following file naming convention: SR-photo-13-14-your last name-first name.
- Official transcripts (university level) inclusive of Summer 2012.
- Copies of study certificates such as level of language proficiency.
- Copies of undergraduate and graduate diplomas.
- A letter of invitation from the University/Institute in Poland where research is to be conducted. The letter should address the feasibility of the research project, the research period start and end dates, and the extent and limitations of the university's support i.e., access to libraries, archives, office space, dormitory housing, etc. Retain a copy of the invitation letter for visa purposes.
- Two confidential letters of academic reference submitted on university letterhead, in a sealed envelope.
- Attach a detailed research proposal, not to exceed 7 pages, double spaced. Include your name, "KF Studies & Research 2013-2014" and page number in the upper right hand corner of each page. Submit two copies of your research proposal.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- E-mailed and faxed materials will not be accepted.
- In question 11, list your current address and valid through date. On a separate line clearly mark and provide your permanent address.
- In question 16 underline Scholarship of the Government of the Republic of Poland
- In response to question 22, provide an abstract of your research proposal.
- If there are any changes in your contact information from the time you submit your application through June 15, 2013, the scholarship notification date, please update your contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
Submit all materials to:
Studies & Research in Poland
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Deadline date: Application, proposal, and abstract are due on Jan. 5, 2013; all other supporting materials are due on January 15, 2013.
Scholarship decisions are made in writing on or about June 15, 2013. In case of a delay in notification, information will post to this page. A schedule of important dates concerning the 2013-2014 Studies and Research Scholarship is available here.
Changes to applicant's contact information may be sent to Addy@thekf.org
Information below is posted for Kosciuszko Foundation's 2012-13 scholarship recipients.
Click here to view a timeline of due dates for the 2012-2013 scholarship.