ALFRED WIERUSZ KOWALSKI
Wierusz-Kowalski received his first drawing lessons in Kalisz from S. Barcikowski. From 1868 to 1870 he studies in Warsaw Drawing Class under Rafał Hadziewicz, Aleksander Kamiński, and Wojciech Gerson and from 1871 to 1872 in Dresden and Prague, where he received commissions from the well-known dealer Lehmnn. From Prague he went to Munich, where he trained at the Munich Academy under Alexander Wagner and Józef Brandt. Wierusz-Kowalski's success with Munich collectors inspired him to settle permanently in the Bavarian capitol. He maintained relations with other of his countrymen in the city and returned often to Poland, especially after acquiring the estate of Mikorzyn in WIlekopolska (Great Polan) around 1897. He became an honorary professor at the Munich Academy in 1900 and showed at international exhibitions in Munich, Berlin and Vienna. Prominent galleries and public collections that acquired his work included the Neue Pinakothek in Munich and museums in Dresden, Antwerp and the United States.