The Jeannette K. Nieciecka Scholarship supports American students of Polish descent for studies in the United States. First preference is given to Bayonne, NJ residents who are majoring in Nursing, Teaching, and Business. Other New Jersey residents are considered if no eligible first preference candidates apply. Funding is for full-time studies during academic year Fall 2019- Spring 2020. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis for one academic year.
United States citizens and permanent residents of Polish descent who are residents of New Jersey and who are beginning or continuing college/undergraduate studies and who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Residents of Bayonne, NJ who are majoring in Nursing, Teaching and Business receive first preference. Scholarships are awarded for full-time studies only. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. Applicants may re-apply. Awards are limited to only two tuition scholarships per individual during the period of his/her studies.
Selection is based on application completeness, the recommendations of professors/teachers, the applicant's academic excellence, achievements, interests, motivation, the applicant's essay (statement of purpose), and interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Recommendation;
- E - Admission letter, if applicable;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
Explanation of Required Documents/Instructions:
- A - Complete the on-line application form found at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below. (A sample of application questions is posted in A above.) Complete the Financial Information Form and save it as "NIE20-Last name-First name-FIF". Submit the form via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org or send a hard copy to the Grants Department via USPS. The Financial Information Form are available at A above when the application period is open.
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your educational goals/direction/major, and your academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "NIEC20" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "NIEC20-Last name-First name-essay" and upload it to your application form;
- C - Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through the most recent summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D - Submit two letters of recommendation. Request letters of academic reference from two professors /teachers with whom you have studied recently. Recommendation letters must be written on university/school letterhead and sent by professors/teachers directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS OR via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Please ask professors to save their reference letters as "NIEC20-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name";
- E - This requirement is for students who are entering college. Submit a copy of your admission letter via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If submitting via e-mail, please save your file as "NIEC20-Last name-First name-admisson-University initials". Admission letters are accepted through May 31st, however, earlier submissions are appreciated;
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file and save it as "NIEC20-Last name-First name-heritage". Upload it to the application form. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish descent. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport style photo is suggested (2 inches x 2 inches). Save your photo as "NIEC20-Last Name-First Name-photo" and upload the file to the on-line application form;
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae (academic resume including awards, achievements, participation in clubs/activities/Polish clubs, etc.) Save your file as "NIEC20-Last Name-First name-CV" and upload it to the on-line application form;
- I - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Check and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Additional Notes for All Applicants:
- Prior to applying on-line, prepare your supporting documents and save them according to the file names suggested.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line form in one session - you will not be able to save your answers and return to the form later.
- A successful submission is indicated by a green check-mark within a large circle and the words "Thank you for your submission".
- Applications are reviewed in the order received. If items are missing or if questions arise during the review process, an e-mail will be sent to the candidate. It is the candidate's responsibility to follow up on missing items and to respond to questions.
- The candidate is responsible for understanding the requirements and submitting the required documents. If you have questions about the application, please call Addy at (212) 734-2130 ext 412.
- If you wish to receive confirmation of receipt of supporting materials include a self addressed post card. On the reverse side of the postcard include wording regarding KF's receipt of all supporting materials for the Jeanette K. Nieciecka Scholarship. We will sign and return the postcard to you when all materials have been received.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Submit hard copy materials to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Documents to submit on-line: Application form, Personal Statement/Essay, Proof of Polish descent, photo, and C.V.
Documents accepted via USPS include: Financial Information Form, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, admission letters to college, $35 application fee and checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include: Financial Information Forms, letters of recommendation, admission letters.
Application Deadline: extended to Jan 31st as a result of technical difficulties experienced by some applicants
Scholarship Notification: Decision letters are sent in late May.
.The ONLINE APPLICATION is OPEN
Please note that a green check mark within a circle indicates that your application has been successfully submitted.
The green check mark confirmation is now working - 1/28/19 4:15 p.m.
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- Statement of purpose/essay.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Curriculum Vitae.
When the application period is closed send an e-mail to the Scholarship and Grant Officer and ask to be added to the Jeanette K. Nieciecka Scholarship mailing list. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility for this scholarship, for example: I am an American of Polish descent and a resident of Bayonne, NJ. I am currently an undergraduate sophomore majoring in Education and I have a 3.2 GPA -please add me to the Nieciecka Scholarship mailing list.
We will add your e-mail address to our notification list for one year and will send you an e-mail notification when the new application has posted and the scholarship application period has begun. Please add Addy@thekf.org to your white list to insure that the notification is not directed to your Spam folder.