The Jeannette K. Nieciecka Scholarship, one of the scholarship funds awarded under the Kosciuszko Foundation's Tuition Scholarship Program, is awarded to qualified Bayonne, NJ residents who are majoring in Nursing, Teaching, and Business. Other New Jersey residents and majors are considered if no eligible first preference candidates apply. The current application cycle is for academic year Fall 2020/Spring 2021. Scholarships are for full-time studies only. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis for one academic year. Applicants will be notified of results in June.
United States citizens and permanent residents of Polish descent who are residents of New Jersey and who are beginning or continuing undergraduate studies and who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Residents of Bayonne, NJ who are majoring in Nursing, Teaching and Business receive first preference. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. Applicants may re-apply. Awards are limited to only two tuition scholarships per individual during the period of his/her studies.
Selection is based on application completeness, the recommendations of professors/teachers, academic excellence, achievements, interests, motivation, the applicant's essay (statement of purpose), and interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A1 & A2 - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Recommendation;
- E - Admission letter, if applicable;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
Documents to submit on-line:
A1- Application form
B- Personal Statement/Essay
F- Proof of Polish descent
H- Curriculum Vitae
Notes Regarding Supporting Documents:
- A1 - Complete the on-line application form found at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below.
- A2 - Submit a completed Financial Information Form (Pages 1 and 2). Candidates entering college please include budgetary figures for the top three schools you are most likely to attend (Page 2).
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. Discuss your major and your educational and career goals. Your statement will be three pages long, double spaced. Include your full name, "NIEC21" and page numbers on each page of your essay.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through the most recent summer semester. Some applicants will need to submit high school transcripts in addition to undergraduate transcripts in order to show three years of academic work.
- D - Submit two letters of recommendation. Letters may be from professors or teachers with whom you have studied recently. Letters must be written on university or school letterhead and sent by professors or teachers directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail. Please ask professors to save their recommendation as NIEC21-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name.
- E - Submit a copy of your college admission letter. This requirement is only for students who are entering college. College admission letters are accepted through May 31st.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use copies of documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to trace your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names and arrange in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file using the file naming convention listed below. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish descent. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport style photo is suggested (2 inches x 2 inches).
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae. Include awards, achievements, participation in clubs, activities, Polish clubs, etc.
- I - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Check and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Additional Notes :
- Prepare your supporting documents prior to applying on-line (essay, proof of ancestry, photo, CV). Permanent residents and naturalized citizens are advised to have green card numbers and Naturalization certificate numbers on hand when applying.
- Save all documents using the following file naming convention: NIEC21-Your last name-Your first name-description of item. Descriptions may include FIF (financial information form) or Financial info, Essay, Admission-UIC (include university initials), Heritage or Ancestry, Photo, CV and similar descriptive terms. Ask professors and teachers to save their recommendation letters as NIEC21-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line application form in one session. You will not be able to save your answers and return to complete the form at a later time.
- Applications are reviewed for completeness in the order received. If questions arise regarding your submission, we will contact you via e-mail. Please respond promptly.
- If you have questions about the application, requirements or the application procedure, please call Addy at (212) 734-2130 ext 412.
- If you experience technical issues with submitting your on-line application, please send a detailed e-mail regarding the issue you are experiencing or call (212) 734-2130 ext 412 during business hours.
- The Foundation cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone. If you wish to receive confirmation of receipt of supporting materials include a self addressed stamped postcard with your hard copy supporting materials. On the reverse side of the postcard provide an itemized list for our confirmation. We will sign and return the postcard to you with checked off items when all your materials have been received.
- Apply only once - we will also consider you for any KF tuition scholarship for which you qualify.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Documents to submit via USPS or e-mail:
A2- Financial Information Form
C- Official Transcripts
D- Letters of Recommendation
E- College admission letters
I- $35 application fee and checklist
Submit hard copy materials to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Questions: Addy (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Application Deadline: January 15
Scholarship Notification: June
.The ONLINE APPLICATION IS Closed
When the application period is closed e-mail us and ask to be added to the Jeanette K. Nieciecka Scholarship mailing list. Include information that clearly illustrates your eligibility for this scholarship, for example: I am an American of Polish descent and a resident NJ. I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in Education and I have a 3.2 GPA.
We will add your e-mail address to our notification list for one year. Notification will be sent when the new application has posted and the scholarship application period has begun. Please add Addy@thekf.org to your address book/white list/safe senders list to insure that the notification is not directed to your Spam folder.