The Jeannette K. Nieciecka Scholarship is awarded to qualified Bayonne, NJ residents who are majoring in Nursing, Teaching, and Business. Other New Jersey residents and majors are considered if no eligible first preference candidates apply. Scholarship amount varies. Funding is for full-time studies in the United States.
- Citizens and legal permanent residents of the United States;
- must be of Polish descent;
- resident of Bayonne, New Jersey;
- nursing, teaching, and business majors;
- GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- other New Jersey residents and majors are considered if no eligible first preference candidates apply.
Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. Awards are limited to only two tuition scholarships per individual during the period of their studies. Applicants may re-apply for funding.
Selection is based on application completeness, the recommendations of professors and teachers, academic excellence and achievements, applicant's interests, motivation, the applicant's essay, involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
Kosciuszko Foundation scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application (A1) and Financial Information Form (A2)
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay
- C - Official Transcripts
- D - Two Letters of Recommendation
- E - Admission letter, if applicable
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry
- G - Photo
- H - Curriculum Vitae
- I - $40 non-refundable application fee with Checklist
A1- Application form
B- Personal Statement/Essay
F- Proof of Polish descent
H- Curriculum Vitae
Notes Regarding Supporting Documents:
- A - See the Click Here to Apply button below for application forms. Submit a completed Financial Information Form (Pages 1 and 2). Candidates entering college please include budgetary figures for the top three schools you are most likely to attend (Page 2). The Click Here to Apply button is live only during application acceptance period.
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. In your statement of purpose discuss your major, relevant academic and extracurricular activities as well as your short and long term goals. Your statement will be three pages long, double spaced. Include your full name, "NIEC23" and page numbers on each page of your essay.
- C - Submit official transcripts of studies. 3 academic years are required (through Summer 2022), for example, a current college sophomore is required to submit official transcripts for freshman year plus senior and junior year of high school (1 year of college studies + 2 years high school).
- An official transcript is one that is sent by the university or school directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation. An official transcript is usually printed on official transcript paper and bears the embossed or raised seal of the university or school as well as the date and the registrar's signature. Official transcripts are usually sent in a sealed envelope and include the registrar's signature stamped across the seal of the envelope.
- Transcripts will NOT be accepted from students.
- Electronic transcripts are accepted and are considered official if delivered securely through an organization authorized by your university and e-mailed directly to the Foundation. The Foundation accepts electronic transcripts from Transcript Network by Credentials Solutions, LLC; Transcript Services at Parchment; Credentials eScrip-Safe and from the National Student Clearinghouse.
- D - Two letters of recommendation are required. Letters must be written on university letterhead and come directly from professors or teachers with whom you have studied recently. The Foundation can accept letters via USPS or e-mail, however, recommendation letters must come directly from the professor or school office. Recommendation letters will NOT be accpeted from the student. A non-academic letter of recommendation will be accepted as an optional 3rd letter of support. The optional letter may be submitted on your behalf by an employer or supervisor, leader or officer of an organization with whom you are affiliated or other person who can speak to relevant activities, abilities and or suitability for scholarship funding. Recommenders who wish to submit letters via e-mail are asked to save their document as NIEC23-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name.
- E - Submit a copy of your college admission letter. This requirement is only for students who are entering college. College admission letters are accepted through May 31st.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use copies of documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to trace your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names and arrange in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file and save the file according to the file naming convention listed below. One line of descent is needed to prove Polish descent. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport style photo (headshot) is suggested.
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae. Include awards, achievements, participation in clubs, activities, Polish clubs, etc.
- I - Submit the $40 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Check and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Prepare the following before you apply on-line :
- your essay, proof of ancestry, photo, and CV
- green card and naturalization certificate numbers (non-citizens)
- high school and college start and end dates, degrees/expected degrees, graduation dates/expected dates of graduation
- Use the following file naming conventions for all supporting documents: NIEC23-Your last name-Your first name-description of item. Descriptions may include Financial Information Form (FIF); Financial info; Essay, Admission-UIC (include university initials); Heritage; Ancestry; Photo; CV and similar descriptive terms.
- Acceptable file formats for documents include .doc, .docx, and .pdf
- Acceptable file formats for photos include .png, .jpg, and .jpeg
- If you feel that you qualify for more than one of our scholarships, include a note with your checklist and inform us of the scholarships for which you'd like to be considered. Apply only once - we will consider you for any Kosciuszko Foundation scholarships for which you qualify.
- We will contact you via e-mail or phone if questions arise or if clarification is needed - please respond promptly.
- Incomplete application will not receive consideration.
- Do not staple check/money order to Checklist.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line application form in one session. You will not be able to save your answers and return to complete the form at a later time.
Documents to submit on-line:
Documents to submit via USPS or e-mail
(do not duplicate efforts) :
A2- Financial Information Form
C- Official Transcripts
D- Letters of Recommendation
E- College admission letters
Documents accepted via USPS:
I- $40 application fee and checklist
Send hard copy documents to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Submit questions and supporting materials to:
Phone: (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Application deadline for academic year Fall 2022/Spring 2023:
January 31st, 2022 February 18th, 2022
Applications for academic year Fall 2022/Spring 2023:
Scholarship Notification Letters for academic year Fall 2022/Spring 2023 : will be sent in June 2023
When the application is closed e-mail us and ask to be added to the Jeanette K. Nieciecka Scholarship mailing list. Include information that clearly illustrates your eligibility for the scholarship, for example: I am an American of Polish descent and a resident of NJ. I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in education and I have a 3.2 GPA.
We will add your e-mail address to our notification list for one year. Notification will be sent when the new application has posted and the scholarship application period has begun. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book/white list/safe senders list to insure that the notification is not directed to your Spam folder.