The Dr. Magdalena Maria Gaweska-Tolscik Medical Scholarship is awarded to a student of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of medical studies at an accredited school of medicine in the United States, the Adam Mickiewicz University English School of Medicine in Poznan and the Jagiellonian University English School of Medicine in Krakow. One $2,500 scholarship is available for academic year September 2018 - June 2019 and is awarded on a competitive basis. Funding is for full-time studies only.
United States citizens of Polish descent and Polish citizens with permanent residency status in the United States (green card holder) who are entering first, second or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendations, academic excellence and achievements, interests and motivation, the applicant's essay, interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to residents of the state of New York. Qualified candidates residing in other states are considered if no first preference candidates apply.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose / essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Acceptance to Medical School;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A - Before applying on-line preview the application form. Apply only at the on-line form at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below. Complete the Financial Information Form, save it as "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-FIF" and e-mail it as an attachment to Addy@thekf.org;
- B - In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major, specialization and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your name, "TOL19" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C - Submit official transcripts for three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D - Request letters of academic reference from two professors / teachers with whom you have studied. Recommendation letters must be written on university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If the letter is to be mailed via e-mail save file as "TOL19-Applicant's Last Name-First Name-rec-Prof's Last Name".
- E - Students entering medical school in September 2018 must submit a copy of the letter of admission to medical school. Letters may be submitted via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If the letter is to be e-mailed save file as "TOL19-Last name-First name-admission-Name of University". Admission letters are accepted through the scholarship decision / notification date.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all documents to one file named "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-ancestry" and upload to the application form. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- G - Submit a photo of yourself (full face) which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Save your photo as "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-photo" and upload it to the on-line application form;
- H - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Notes for all applicants:
Documents accepted via USPS include:
Transcripts, letters of recommendation, university admission letters, change of address, financial information forms, $35 application fee and Checklist.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Submit hard copy materials to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Documents accepted via e-mail include:
Recommendation letters saved as TOL19-Candidate's Last Name-First Name-Rec-Prof's Last name;
Letters of Admission to Medical School saved as "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-Admission-Name of University";
Financial Information Form saved as "TOL19-Last Name-First Name-FIF"
Send e-mails to:
Deadline for applications and supporting materials: January 16
Decision letters are sent in May.
ONLINE APPLICATION is CLOSED
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A 2" by 2" passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose/essay.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
Links to the application, financial information form, and checklist are live from Fall through the deadline date.
When the application period is closed send an e-mail to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Dr. Tolscik Medical Scholarship mailing list. The scholarship cycle will reopen in Fall 2017 for academic year 2018/19. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (ex.: I am an American citizen of Polish descent majoring in medicine). We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year and will send you an e-mail notification when the new application cycle re-opens.