The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. One $3,500 scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis. Funding is for full time studies for academic year Fall 2022 - Spring 2023. This scholarship is non-renewable.
- citizens and legal permanent residents of the United States;
- must be of Polish descent;
- female resident of the state of Massachusetts;
- must be entering first, second or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree;
- GPA of 3.0 or higher is required;
- female candidates residing in New England will be considered if no eligible Massachusetts candidates apply.
Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. Awards are limited to only two tuition scholarships per individual during the period of their studies.
Prior winners of the Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship may apply for funding under the KF Tuition Scholarship program.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendation of teachers and professors, academic excellence and achievements, applicant's interests, motivation, the applicant's essay, involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
First preference is given to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application (A1) and Financial Information Form (A2)
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay
- C - Official Transcripts
- D - Two Letters of Recommendation
- E - Letter of Admission to Medical School, if applicable
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry
- G - Photo
- H - Curriculum Vitae
- I - $40 non-refundable application fee with Checklist
Notes Regarding Supporting Documents:
- A - See the Click Here to Apply button below for application forms. Submit a completed Financial Information Form (Pages 1 and 2). Candidates entering medical school please include budgetary figures for the top three schools you are most likely to attend (Page 2).
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. In your statement of purpose discuss your major and specialization, if any as well as relevant academic and extracurricular activities as well as your short and long term goals. Your statement will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, ZAK22 and page numbers on each page of your statement.
- C - Submit official transcripts of studies. 3 academic years are required (through 2020), for example, a current second year student of medicine is required to submit official transcripts for first year of medical studies plus senior and junior year of undergraduate studies (1 year of medical studies + 2 years undergraduate studies).
- An official transcript is one that is sent by the university or school directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation. An official transcript is usually printed on official transcript paper and bears the embossed or raised seal of the university or school as well as the date and the registrar's signature. Official transcripts are usually sent in a sealed envelope and include the registrar's signature stamped across the seal of the envelope;
- The Foundation can accept a hard copy transcript from a student/candidate only when the official transcript remains in the original unopened, sealed envelope;
- Electronic transcripts are accepted and are considered official if delivered securely through an organization authorized by your university and e-mailed directly to the Foundation. The Foundation accepts electronic transcripts from Transcript Network by Credentials Solutions, LLC; Transcript Services at Parchment; Credentials eScrip-Safe and from the National Student Clearinghouse.
- D - Two letters of recommendation are required. Letters must be written on university letterhead and come from professors or teachers with whom you have studied recently. The Foundation can accept letters via USPS or via e-mail, however, recommendation letters must come directly from the professor or school office, not from the student. A non-academic letter of recommendation will be accepted as an optional 3rd letter of support. The optional letter may be submitted on your behalf by an employer or supervisor, leader or officer of an organization with whom you are affiliated or other person who can speak to relevant activities, abilities and or suitability for scholarship funding. Recommenders who wish to submit letters via e-mail are asked to to save their documents as as ZAK22-Candidate's Last Name-First Name-LOR-Prof's Last name.
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of admission. This requirement is only for students who are entering medical school in academic year Fall 2022/Spring 2023. Admission letters are accepted through May 31st.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use copies of documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to trace your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names and arrange the documents in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file and save the file according to the file naming convention listed below. One line of descent is needed to prove Polish heritage. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport-style photo (headshot) is suggested.
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae. Include awards, achievements, participation in clubs, activities, Polish clubs, etc.
- I - Submit the $40 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Check and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Prepare the following before you apply on-line :
- your essay, proof of ancestry, photo, CV.
- green card and naturalization certificate numbers (non-citizens)
- high school and college start and end dates, degrees/expected degrees, graduation dates/expected dates of graduation
Documents to submit on-line:
A1- Application form
B- Personal Statement/Essay
F- Proof of Polish descent
H- Curriculum Vitae
- Use the following file naming convention for all supporting documents: ZAK22-Your Last Name-Your First Name-Description of File Contents. Descriptions may include Financial Information Form (FIF); Financial Info; Essay; Admission-BU (include university initials); Heritage; Ancestry; Photo; CV and similar descriptive terms;
- Acceptable file formats for documents include .doc, .docx, and .pdf
- Acceptable file formats for photos include .png, .jpg, and .jpeg
- If you feel that you qualify for more than one of our scholarships, include a note with your checklist and inform us of the scholarships for which you'd like to be considered. Apply only once - we will consider you for any Kosciuszko Foundation scholarships for which you qualify.
- We will contact you via e-mail or phone if questions arise or if clarification is needed - please respond promptly.
- Incomplete application will not receive consideration.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line form without taking a break. You will not be able to save your answers and return to complete the form at a later time.
Documents to submit via USPS or e-mail:
A2- Financial Information Form
C- Official Transcripts
D- Letters of Recommendation
E- Medical School Admission letters
I- $40 application fee and checklist (USPS only)
Send hard copy documents to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Submit questions and supporting materials to:
Phone: (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Application Deadline :
January 31st, 2022 February 18th, 2022
Scholarship Notification : June 2022
If you change your address at any point after submitting the on-line application, complete the Change of Address Form and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
APPLICATION FORM (A1):TH
A green check mark within a circle indicates that your on-line application form has been successfully submitted.
Click here for the Financial Information Form (A2)
Click here for the Checklist (H)
When the application period is closed e-mail us and ask to be added to the Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list. Include information that clearly illustrates your eligibility for this scholarship, for example: I am an American woman of Polish descent entering first year of medical studies at Boston University.
We will add your e-mail address to our notification list for one year. Notification will be sent when the new application has posted and the scholarship application period has begun. Please add email@example.com to your address book/white list/safe senders list to insure that the notification is not directed to your Spam folder. ____________________________________________________