The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. One $3,500 scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis for one academic year. Funding is for full time studies for academic year Fall 2019 - Spring 2020.
This scholarship is open to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Eligible applicants are United States citizens of Polish descent and legal permanent residents (green card holders). Applicant must be entering first, second or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited university in the United States. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. This scholarship is non-renewable. (Prior winners of the Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship may apply for funding under the KF Tuition Scholarship program).
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendation of teachers and professors, academic excellence and achievements, applicant's interests and motivation, the applicant's essay. Interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Admission to Medical School;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A - Apply at the on-line application at the "Click Here To Apply" button found below. Complete the Financial Information Form and save it as "ZAK20-Last name-First name-FIF". Submit the form via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org or send a hard copy to the Grants Department via USPS. A sample application and Financial Information Form are available at A above when the application period is open.
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. In the statement of purpose/essay discuss your major, specialization and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "ZAK20" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "ZAK20-Last name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the most recent three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D - Submit two letters of reference. Request letters of academic reference from two professors with whom you have studied recently. Letters must be written on university letterhead sent sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Please ask professors to save their reference letters as as "ZAK20-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name".
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of admission. This requirement is only for students who are entering medical school in academic year Fall 2019/Spring 2020. Submit a copy or your letter via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If submitting via e-mailed save file as "ZAK20-Last name-First name-admission-name of school". Admission letters are accepted through May 31st. Early submissions are appreciated.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file named "ZAK20-Last name-First name-heritage" and upload the file to the application form. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish heritage. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- G - The KF publishes a list of scholarship winners in its Newsletter. Submit a photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Newsletter. A passport-style photo is suggested (2 inches x 2 inches). Save your photo as, "ZAK20-Last name-First name-photo" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae. Save your file as "ZAK20-Last Name-First Name-CV" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- I - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Checks and money order made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Notes for all applicants:
- Prior to applying, prepare your supporting documents and save them according to the file names suggested.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line form in one session - you will not be able to save your answers and return to the form later.
- Applicants receive confirmation of on-line submission - a successful submission is indicated by a green check-mark within a circle.
- Applications are reviewed in the order received. If items are missing or if questions arise during the review process, an e-mail will be sent to the candidate. It is the candidate's responsibility to follow up on missing items and to respond to questions.
- The candidate is responsible for understanding requirements and submitting the required documents. If you have questions about the application, please call Addy at (212) 734 2130 ext. 412.
- Please do not call/e-mail for confirmation of materials. If you wish to receive confirmation of receipt of supporting materials include a self addressed post card. On the reverse side of the postcard include wording regarding KF's receipt of all supporting materials. We will sign and return the postcard to you when all materials have been received.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Documents to submit on-line: Application form, Personal Statement/Essay, Proof of Polish descent, photo, and C.V.
Documents accepted via USPS include: Financial Information Form, official transcripts, letters of recommendation submitted by professors, admission letters, $35 application fee and checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include: Financial Information Form, letters of recommendation submitted by professors, admission letters.
Scholarship Deadline : January 28
Scholarship Notification: Decision letters sent in late May.
ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- Statement of purpose/essay.
- Proof of Polish Ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
Links to the application, financial information form and checklist are live from late Fall through the deadline date.
When the application period is closed send an e-mail to the Scholarship and Grant Officer and ask to be added to the "Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list". Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (ex.: I am an American woman of Polish descent in my second year of medical studies at Boston University.) We will add your e-mail address to our mailing list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the application period re-opens. ____________________________________________________