The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. One $3,500 scholarship is awarded on a competitive basis for one academic year. Funding is for full time studies for academic year Fall 2020 - Spring 2021.
This scholarship is open to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Eligible applicants are United States citizens of Polish descent and legal permanent residents (green card holders) of Polish descent. Applicant must be entering first, second or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited university in the United States. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. This scholarship is non-renewable. Prior winners of the Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship may apply for funding under the KF Tuition Scholarship program.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendation of teachers and professors, academic excellence, achievements, interests, motivation, the applicant's essay (statement of purpose), interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A1 & A2 - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Recommendation;
- E - Letter of Admission to Medical School, if applicable;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
Notes Regarding Supporting Documents:
- A1 - Apply at the "Click Here To Apply" button found below.
- A2 - Submit your completed Financial Information Form (Pages 1 and 2). Candidates entering medical school: please include budgetary figures (Page 2) for the top three schools you are most likely to attend.
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. Discuss your major and specialization, if any as well as your academic and career goals. Your statement will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "ZAK21" and page numbers on each page of your statement.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester.
- D - Submit two letters of recommendation. Letters may be from two professors with whom you have studied recently. Letters must be written on university letterhead and sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail. Please ask professors to save their letters as as "ZAK21-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name".
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of admission. This requirement is only for students who are entering medical school in academic year Fall 2020/Spring 2021. Admission letters are accepted through May 31st.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use copies of documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to trace your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names and arrange the documents in chronological order. Save all your documents to one file and save the file using the file naming convention listed below. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish heritage. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- G - Submit a photo of yourself, which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport-style photo is suggested (2 inches x 2 inches).
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae. Include awards, achievements, participation in clubs, activities, Polish clubs, etc.
- I - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Checks and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
Documents to submit on-line:
A1- Application form
B- Personal Statement/Essay
F- Proof of Polish descent
H- Curriculum Vitae
- Prepare your supporting documents prior to applying on-line (essay, proof of ancestry, photo, CV). Permanent residents and naturalized citizens are advised to have green card numbers and Naturalization certificate numbers on hand when applying.
- Save all documents using the following file naming convention: ZAK21-Your Last Name-Your First Name-description of item. Descriptions may include FIF (financial information form) or Financial Info, Essay, Admission-BU (include university initials), Heritage, Ancestry, Photo, CV and similar descriptive terms. Ask professors and teacher to save their recommendation letters as ZAK21-Candidates's Last Name-First Name-LOR-Prof's Last name.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line form in one session. You will not be able to save your answers and return to complete the form at a later time.
- Applications are reviewed for completeness in the order received. If questions arise regarding your submission, we will contact you via e-mail. Please respond promptly.
- If you have questions about the application, requirements or the application procedure, please call Addy at (212) 734-2130 ext. 412.
- If you experience technical issues with submitting your on-line application, please send a detailed e-mail regarding the issue you are experiencing or call (212) 734 - 2130 ext. 412 during business hours.
- The Foundation cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone. If you wish to receive confirmation of receipt of supporting materials, include a self addressed stamped postcard with your hard copy supporting materials. On the reverse side provide an itemized list for our confirmation. We will sign and return the postcard to you with checked off items when all materials have been received.
- Apply only once - we will also consider you for any KF tuition scholarship for which you qualify.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Documents to submit via USPS or e-mail:
A2- Financial Information Form
C- Official Transcripts
D- Letters of Recommendation
E- Medical School Admission letters
I- $35 application fee and checklist
Send hard copy documents to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Questions: Addy (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Application Deadline : January 15
Scholarship Notification Letters : June
Please send changes in address and other contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
A green check mark within a circle indicates that your application has been successfully submitted.
When the application period is closed e-mail us and ask to be added to the Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list. Include information that clearly illustrates your eligibility for this scholarship, for example: I am an American woman of Polish descent entering first year of medical studies at Boston University.
We will add your e-mail address to our notification list for one year. Notification will be sent when the new application has posted and the scholarship application period has begun. Please add Addy@thekf.org to your address book/white list/safe senders list to insure that the notification is not directed to your Spam folder. ____________________________________________________