The Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship is awarded to a young woman of Polish ancestry for first, second, or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree at an accredited school of medicine in the United States. One $3,500 scholarship is available for academic year September 2018 - May 2019. Funding is for full-time studies.
This scholarship is open to female residents of the state of Massachusetts who are United States citizens of Polish descent or who are Polish citizens with permanent residency status (green card holders) in the United States. Applicant must be entering first, second or third year of studies towards an M.D. degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. This scholarship is non-renewable. (Prior winners of the Dr. Marie E. Zakrzewski Medical Scholarship may re-apply for funding under the KF Tuition Scholarship program.)
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendation of teachers and professors, academic excellence and achievements, applicant's interests and motivation, the applicant's essay. Interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. First preference is given to female residents of the state of Massachusetts. Qualified residents of New England are considered if no first preference candidates apply.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Admission to Medical School;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A - Preview the sample application form before you apply. Prepare your supporting documents in advance and save them according to the file naming conventions suggested. Complete the application found at the "Click Here To Apply" button found below and upload your supporting files. Complete the Financial Information Form, save it as "ZAK19-Last name-First name-FIF". Submit the form via e-mail it to Addy@thekf.org or send a hard copy to the Grants Department via USPS;
- B - In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major, specialization and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "ZAK19" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "ZAK19-Last name-First Name-essay" and upload to the on-line application form.
- C - Submit official transcripts for the most recent three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D - Request letters of academic reference from two professors / teachers you have studied with recently. Letters should be written on university letterhead and may be sent sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. E-mailed recommendation should be saved as "ZAK19-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name" and sent as an attachment.
- E - Students who are entering medical school in Fall 2018 must submit a letter of admission to medical school. Letters may be submitted via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If the letter is to be e-mailed save file as "ZAK19-Last name-First name-admission-name of school". Admission letters are accepted throughout the scholarship decision / notification date.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted. Save all documents to one file named "ZAK19-Last name-First name-heritage" and upload the file to the application form. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish descent;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Save your photo as, "ZAK19-Last name-First name-photo" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- H - Upload your Curriculum Vitae. Save your files as "ZAK19-Last Name-First Name-CV";
- I - Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- You will receive an electronic confirmation upon application submission.
- Do not staple check/money order to checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Documents accepted via USPS include:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Transcripts, Letters of recommendation, university admission letters, Financial Information Forms, $35 application fee and checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include:
Letters of Recommendation, Letters of Admission to Medical School, Financial Information Form, Proof of Polish heritage, CVs.
Send e-mails to:
Decision letters are sent in May
Deadline for applications and supporting materials: January 16
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A small photo of yourself (head shot) suitable for publication.
- Statement of purpose.
- Proof of Polish Ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
Links to the application, financial information form and Checklist are live from late Fall through the deadline date.
When the application period is closed send an e-mail to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Dr. Zakrzewska Scholarship mailing list. The scholarship cycle will reopen in Fall 2018 for academic year Fall 2019/Spring 2020. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (ex.: I am an American woman of Polish descent majoring in medicine at...), your current educational level (I am in my 1st year of medical studies). We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year and will send you an e-mail notification when the new application cycle re-opens.