The Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship provides funding of $2,000 to a qualified undergraduate student for full-time studies at an accredited college or university in the United States. Scholarship will be awarded for academic year September 2020 - May 2021. The selection of the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship winner is made on a competitive basis by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Note: For more information on membership in Lodge #1903 of the Polish National Alliance please contact:
Home of the Alliance
176 Java Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Phone: (718) 609-0557
Membership in the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA consists of purchasing a life insurance policy. One year of membership in the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA is required in order to meet eligibility criteria for the PNA of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship.
United States citizens of Polish descent and Polish citizens with permanent residency status in the US (green card holders) who are members in good standing of the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA, Lodge #1903 and who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during the academic year. This scholarship is non-renewable. In other words, a candidate may receive this scholarship only once.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendations, academic excellence and achievements, interests and motivation, the applicant's essay, interest in Polish subjects/ involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Reference;
- E - College/university Letter of Admission;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - Curriculum Vitae;
- I - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A - Complete the on-line application at the ""Click Here to Apply" button found below. (A sample of application questions is posted in A above.) Complete the Financial Information Form and save it as "PNA21-Last Name-First Name-FIF". Submit the form via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org or send a hard copy to the Grants Department via USPS. A sample application and Financial Information Form are available at A above when the application period is open;
- B - Submit a Statement of Purpose. In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major, and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "PNA20" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "PNA21-Last Name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form;
- C -Submit official transcripts for three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS;
- D- Submit two letters of reference. Request letters of academic reference from two professors / teachers you have studied with recently. Letters must be written on school/university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Please ask professors to save the file as "PNA21-Candidate's Last name-First name-LOR-Prof's Last name";
- E - Submit a copy of your letter of admission. This requirement is only for students who are entering college in September. Submit a copy of your admission letter via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If submitting via e-mail, please save your file as "PNA21-Last name-First name-admission-university initials". Admission letters are accepted through the scholarship notification date, however, early submissions are appreciated;
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all documents to one file. Save the document as "PNA21-Last Name-First Name-heritage" and upload it to the application form. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish descent. If the above described documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted;
- G - Submit a photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. A passport style photo is suggested (2 inches x 2 inches). Save your photo as "PNA21-Last Name-First Name-photo" and upload the file to the on-line application form;
- H - Submit your Curriculum Vitae (cademic resume including awards, achievements, participation in clubs/activities/Polish clubs, etc.) Save your file as "PNA21-Last name-First name-CV";
- I - Submit $35 non-refundable application fee together with your Checklist (found at I above) to the KF via USPS. Checks and money orders made payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation are the only acceptable forms of payment.
- Prior to applying on-line prepare your supporting documents and save them according to the file names suggested.
- Set aside enough time to complete the on-line form in one session - you will not be able to save your answers and return to the form later.
- If you have questions about the application, please call Addy at (212) 734-2130 ext 412.
- Applicants receive confirmation of on-line submission - successful submission is indicated by a green check mark within a circle.
- If you are experiencing technical issues with submission, please send us an e-mail with details or call (212) 734-2130 ext 412 during business hours.
- We cannot confirm receipt of your supporting materials via phone. Include a self addressed stamped postcard with items that are sent under separate cover. When the item arrives, we will sign the postcard and return it to you.
- Applications are reviewed in the order received. If questions arise during the process, an e-mail will be sent to the candidate. It is the candidate's responsibility to respond to questions.
- Do not staple check/money order to the Checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 412
Documents to submit on-line: Application form, Personal Statement/Essay, Proof of Polish descent, photo, C.V.
Documents accepted via USPS include: Financial Information Form, official transcripts, letters of recommendation, admission letters, $35 application fee and checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include: Letters of recommendation; admission letters.
Scholarship Deadline: January 15
Decision letters: are sent in late May
Please send changes in address and other contact information via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- Statement of Purpose/Essay
- Proof of Polish ancestry
- Curriculum Vitae
Links to the application, financial information form, and checklist are live from late Fall through the deadline date. _____________________________________________________
When the application period is closed send an e-mail to the Scholarship and Grand Officer and ask to be added to the "P.N.A. Brooklyn, USA Scholarship" mailing list. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility for this scholarship, for example:. "I am a member of group #1903 of the PNA of Brooklyn and am a US citizen. I am an undergraduate sophomore of Polish descent. My GPA is 3.0. Please add my name to the PNA Scholarship mailing list." We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year and will send you an e-mail notification when the new application has posted and the application cycle has begun.