The Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship provides funding of $2,000 to a qualified undergraduate student for full-time studies at an accredited college or university in the United States. Scholarships will be awarded for academic year September 2017 - May 2018. The selection of the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship winner is made on a competitive basis by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Note: For more information on membership in Lodge #1903 of the Polish National Alliance please contact:
Home of the Alliance
176 Java Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Membership in the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA consists of purchasing a life insurance policy. One year of membership in the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA is required in order to meet eligibility criteria for the PNA of Brooklyn, USA Scholarship.
United States citizens of Polish descent and Polish citizens with permanent residency status in the US (green card holders) who are members in good standing of the Polish National Alliance of Brooklyn, USA, Lodge #1903 and who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. This scholarship is non-renewable.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendations, academic excellence and achievements, interests and motivation, the applicant's essay, interest in Polish subjects/ involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration. Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose/essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two Letters of Reference;
- E - College/university Letter of Admission;
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A - Before applying on-line, preview the application form at the link found above. Apply only at the on-line form at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below. Complete the Financial Information Form, save it as "PNA18-Last Name-First Name-FIF" and e-mail it to Addy@thekf.org.
- B - In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major, and academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "PNA18" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "PNA18-Last Name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C -Submit official transcripts for three full years of academic work through Summer 2016; Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D- Submit two confidential letters of academic reference from professors / teachers. Letters must be written on school/university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org;
- E - Students entering college in September 2017 must submit a copy of the letter of admission to college. Letters may be submitted via USPS or e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Admission letters are accepted through the scholarship notification date;
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted. Save all documents to one file named PAC18-Last Name-First Name-ancestry" and upload to the application form;
- G - Submit a passport photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Electronic photos may be uploaded to the on-line application. Save file as "PNA18-Last Name-First Name-photo"
- H - Submit $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF and send via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check to Checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Documents accepted via USPS include:
Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, University Admission letters, Financial Information form, $35 Application fee and Checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include:
Recommendation letters - save file as "PNA18-Candidate's Last Name-First Name-Rec-Prof's Last name";
University Admission letters - save file as "PNA18-Last Name-First Name-Admission";
Financial Information Form - save file as "PNA18-Last Name-First Name-FIF".
Deadline for application and supporting materials is extended through: March 10
Notification of results is made in writing on or about May 25, 2017
Changes in contact information after submission of application materials may be forwarded via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
The on-line application period will close after the deadline date. When the application period is closed send an e-mail to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the P.N.A. Brooklyn, USA Scholarship mailing list. The scholarship cycle will reopen in Fall 2017 for academic year 2018/19. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (ex. I am a PNA Brooklyn USA Grp#1903 member. I am an undergraduate sophomore of Polish descent. My GPA is 3.0). We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year and will send you an e-mail notification when the application cycle re-opens.