The Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Science Scholarship of $5,000 is awarded to a qualified undergraduate student who is majoring in the Natural Sciences. One $5,000 scholarship is available for academic year September 2017 - May 2018. The selection of the scholarship winner is made on a competitive basis by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
United States citizens of Polish descent and permanent residents (green card holders) of Polish descent who have a minimum GPA of 3.5. Candidates may be high school seniors, undergraduate freshmen, undergraduate sophomores and undergraduate juniors at the time of application. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. This scholarship is not renewable.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendations, academic excellence and achievements, interests and motivation, the applicant's essay, involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose /essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two confidential Letters of Reference;
- E - Letter of Admission (for incoming freshmen);
- F - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G - Passport-size photo;
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A -Before applying on-line, preview the application form at the link found above. Apply only at the on-line form at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below. Complete the Financial Information Form, save it as TR18-Last name-First name-FIF and e-mail it to Addy@thekf.org;
- B - In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major and academic goals. Your statement of purpose (essay) will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "Trefil-18" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "TR18-Last Name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C -Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through Summer 2016; Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D- Request letters of academic reference from two professors / teachers with whom you have studied recently. Recommendations must be written on school/university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Recommendation must reference the Drs. Trefil Scholarship. E-mailed recommendation should be saved as "TR18-Candidate's last name-Candidate's first name-rec-Prof's last name" and sent as an attachment;
- E - Students who are entering undergraduate studies in September 2017 must submit a letter of admission to college. Letters may be submitted via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. If the letter is to be e-mailed, save the file as "TR18-Last name-First name-admission-name of university". Admission letters are accepted through the scholarship decision/notification date.
- F - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all documents to one file named "TR18-Last name-First name-ancestry" and upload to the appellation form. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- G - Submit a photo of yourself (full-face) which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Save electronic photo as "TR18-Last name-First name-photo" and upload to the on-line application form.
- H - Submit $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check to Checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Scholarship
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Documents accepted via USPS (hard copies) include:
Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, University Admission letters, Financial Information Form, $35 application fee and checklist.
Documents accepted via e-mail include:
Recommendation letters - please save as "TR18-Candidate's Last name- First name-rec-Prof's Last name"
University Admission letters - please save as "TU18-Last name-First name-admission-name of university;
Financial Information Form - please save as "TU18-Last name-First name- FIF"
Send e-mails to:
Decision letters are sent on or about: May 25, 2017
Deadline for applications and supporting materials has been extended through: March 10
This scholarship supports studies in the Natural Sciences. A change in subject area/major must be communicated to the Kosciuszko Foundation Grants Department and may result in cancellation of the scholarship award.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A 2" by 2" passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose/essay.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
The on-line application period will close after the deadline date. When the application period is closed send an e-mail to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Science Scholarship mailing list. The scholarship cycle will reopen in Fall 2017 for academic year 2018/19. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (American of Polish descent/green card holder of Polish descent); your major (Biology); your current educational level (undergraduate freshman/ undergraduate sophomore/undergraduate junior);and your GPA (3.5 GPA). We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. We will send you an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.