The Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Science Scholarship of $5,000 is awarded to a qualified undergraduate student who is majoring in the Natural Sciences. One $5,000 scholarship is available for academic year September 2018 - May 2019. The selection of the scholarship winner is made on a competitive basis by the Kosciuszko Foundation.
United States citizens of Polish descent and permanent residents (green card holders) of Polish descent who have a minimum GPA of 3.5. Candidates may be undergraduate freshmen, undergraduate sophomores and undergraduate juniors at the time of application. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during an academic year. This scholarship is not renewable.
Selection is based on application completeness, recommendation of teachers and professors, academic excellence and achievements, applicant's interests and motivation, the applicant's essay, involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A - Scholarship Application and Financial Information Form;
- B - Statement of Purpose /essay;
- C - Official Transcripts;
- D - Two confidential Letters of Reference;
- E - Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- F - Passport-size photo;
- G - Curriculum Vitae:
- H - $35 non-refundable application fee and Checklist.
- A -Preview the sample application form at the link found above before you apply. Prepare your supporting documents in advance and save them according to the file naming conventions suggested. Complete the application found at the "Click Here to Apply" button found below and upload your supporting files. Complete the Financial Information Form, save it as "TR19-Last name-First name-FIF". Submit the form via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org or send a hard copy to the Grants Department via USPS;
- B - In the Statement of Purpose/essay discuss your major and academic goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name, "Trefil-19" and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save your file as "TR19-Last Name-First Name-essay" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C -Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via USPS.
- D- Request letters of academic reference from two professors / teachers with whom you have studied recently. Recommendations must be written on school/university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via USPS or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Recommendation must reference the Drs. Trefil Scholarship. Please save e-mailed recommendation as "TR19-Candidate's last name-Candidate's first name-LOR-Prof's last name" and sent as an attachment;
- E - Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Use documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents and arrange in chronological order. Save all documents to one file named "TR19-Last name-First name-heritage" and upload it to the application form. One line of descent is sufficient to prove Polish descent. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- F - Submit a photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation's Newsletter. Save electronic photo as "TR19-Last name-First name-photo" and upload it to the on-line application form.
- G - Upload your Curriculum Vitae. Save your file as "TR19-Last name-First name-CV".
- H - Submit $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
- You will receive an electronic confirmation upon application submission.
- Do not staple check to Checklist.
Send hard copy documents to:
Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Scholarship
Documents accepted via USPS include:
Transcripts, Letters of Recommendation, Financial Information Form, $35 application fee and checklist.
Kosciuszko Foundation, Inc.
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
Documents accepted via e-mail include:
Letters of Recommendation, Financial Information Form.
Send e-mails to:
Deadline for applications and supporting materials: extended to February 15
Decision letters are sent in May
This scholarship supports studies in the Natural Sciences. A change in subject area/major must be communicated to the Kosciuszko Foundation Grants Department and may result in cancellation of the scholarship award.
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS OPEN
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A passport size photograph of yourself (head shot).
- Statement of purpose/essay.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
Links to the application, financial information form, and checklist are live from late Fall through the deadline date. ________________________________________________
The on-line application period will close after the deadline date. When the application period is closed send an e-mail to Addy@thekf.org and ask to be added to the Drs. James and Wanda Trefil Science Scholarship mailing list. The scholarship cycle will reopen in Fall 2018 for academic year 2019/20. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility (American of Polish descent/green card holder of Polish descent); your major (Biology/Chemistry/BioChemisty, etc.); your current educational level (undergraduate freshman/ undergraduate sophomore/undergraduate junior);and your GPA (3.5 GPA). We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. We will send you an e-mail notification when the new application cycle is open.